Everyone knows that feline curiosity is infinite. Exploring an unknown space, examining what you’re doing, searching for anything that attracts their attention is completely normal behavior for them. However, sometimes this kind of behavior can lead to unexpected complications.
This curiosity can lead the cat to swallow substances or objects that are very dangerous for him. In some cases, to save his life, you may have to make him vomit while you take him to the vet.
How do you make a poisoned cat vomit?
To save the life of a poisoned cat it is sometimes mandatory to try to make him vomit while you take him to the vet :
-By using hydrogen peroxide (5 ml for 2.5 kg).
-With salt. ( 1 to 3 spoonfuls of salt for 250 ml of water)
To stop the progression of the poison you can use :
We must help a cat to vomit?
Before explaining the best technique to make your cat vomit, you should know that it is not recommended to do so in all situations. So, if you try to make your cat vomit without knowing if this is the right time, the consequences can be very serious, even fatal.
Vomiting should only be induced when you are completely sure what your cat has swallowed. You should only do this when she has eaten a plant that is toxic to cats (such as the Christmas star, ivy, or lily among others). Or if she’s ingested a plant that’s recently come into contact with pesticides or fertilizers.
However, you should never make him vomit when :
-It’s already been two hours or more since the cat ingested the toxin.
-The cat has ingested a sharp object that can pierce its stomach or esophagus: needles, small pieces of metal, or toothpicks among other sharp objects.
-The cat has swallowed tranquilizers or other medication.
He has ingested flammable substances, alkaline, acidic, corrosive, or petroleum-based solutions: chlorine, oils, gasoline, car maintenance products, household cleaners, poisons, etc…
-The cat is unconscious or semi-conscious.
This is very important because if you make a cat vomit in the situations we have just described you can cause internal injury and second-degree burns.
Before you make a cat vomit:
Before you make your cat vomit you must make sure that the product he has ingested and that you are trying to get out is not one of those we have mentioned before. The best thing to do is to call the veterinarian on call for advice on what to do.
Other tips to follow before making a cat vomit:
-Never make a cat vomit if it has fallen in failure, is unable to swallow, has had a seizure, or is suffering from an epileptic fit.
-Making a cat vomit once two hours have passed is useless. The product is already in the small intestine, making it impossible to extract it naturally.
Never try to make him vomit if he has ingested a sharp object.
If he has swallowed tranquilizers, one of the effects is to prevent vomiting. So, if that’s what he swallowed, the only thing to do is take your cat to the vet.
Never use milk, water with vinegar, alcohol, ether, or any other substance (except those we will recommend later) to make your cat vomit.
Once your cat has vomited, clean the surface immediately to prevent it from ingesting the substance again (more usual than you might think).
Both if you succeed in making him vomit, and if you fail, you’ll have to go to the vet for an evaluation of the animal’s condition. Even if you have managed to expel most of the ingested product, many toxins remain lethal in small doses.
In the next paragraphs of our article How to make a poisoned cat vomit, we will talk about five techniques that will allow you to make your cat vomit or to prevent the poison from acting!
How to make a cat vomit with hydrogen peroxide
Warning: Hydrogen peroxide (hydrogen peroxide) is a toxic substance but very convenient to induce vomiting. If you give it to your cat you must carefully follow the instructions for recommended doses.
Recommended doses: 5 milliliters for every 2.5 kg of weight. For a 5 kg cat, the average weight of a house cat, only 10 milligrams, about two tablespoons. Use 3% hydrogen peroxide, especially not a higher concentration as the result can be harmful.
Administration: best to use a small syringe. If you don’t have one, you can use a small spoon. Take milliliters of hydrogen peroxide according to your weight. Hold the cat on your legs or wrap it in a towel and let only its head out0. Place the syringe towards the cheek, between the teeth, and very gently drip one milliliter each time. This way you leave time for the cat to swallow the peroxide. Remember not to aim directly at the throat as this will startle the cat.
If you use a spoon instead of a syringe, follow the same procedure. Drop the liquid between the teeth at the sides of the muzzle.
Once you have finished the contents of the syringe, wait for 10 to 15 minutes until your cat vomits. If she doesn’t vomit, repeat the treatment up to a maximum of three doses.
Both if she vomits and if she doesn’t, you’ll need to take her to the vet for a swab. If he does manage to vomit you can relax and go to the vet more quietly. If, on the other hand, he doesn’t manage to expel what is poisoning him, your cat will need immediate medical attention.
How to make a cat vomit with salt :
Warning: It is not advisable to include salt in a cat’s diet, however salt is one of the most recommended minerals used to induce vomiting. It is used by veterinarians but also at home.
-Recommended dose: you will need 1 to 3 spoonfuls of salt for every 250 ml of water. Afterward, you will have to homogenize the mixture and put it in a syringe. You will need a smaller or larger syringe depending on the size of the cat.
-Administration: You must empty the water and salt solution down the cat’s throat. First, you will observe some salivation, discomfort, and a first attempt to vomit. If nothing happens after 10 minutes, it is better to try to repeat the procedure up to a maximum of 3 doses.
After your cat has vomited, it is essential to go to the vet to rule out possible poisoning or damage of any kind to the cat’s body.
What else can I do?
Besides making your cat vomit, certain products will allow you to prevent the absorption of the toxic product:
*Active carbon: it can absorb impurities, poisons, and toxic substances. This is why it is very practical in case of ingestion of one of these substances. It is a fairly fine black dust that you can find in health food stores and other types of drugstores. It can also be found in tablet form in pharmacies. We recommend that you administer 1 gram of activated charcoal for each kilogram of the cat.
*Enemas: Enemas are liquids that are introduced through the tract to help the animal evacuate.
*Laxatives: Laxatives speed up intestinal transit. It is thanks to this that you can avoid the absorption of part of the toxic product ingested by the cat. Although there are several types, we recommend using sodium sulfate. You should use 1 gram for every kg of the cat’s weight.
Always remember that these are first aid tips that you should only use in an emergency. In any case, if you observe that your cat has been poisoned you should call your vet as soon as possible.
This article is purely informative, we do not have the expertise to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian if it presents symptoms of fever or illness.